This is the Gonzales Come and Take it Cannon Flag.
- 12″x18″ Size
- This size fits great in Dorm Rooms, Boats, And Mounted to Walls or Regularly on Flag Pole.
- Grommets for easy fastening
- Easily attaches to flag pole!
Standard Quality – Super-weave polyester
- Our most popular quality level
- 100% synthetic waterproof material
- Designs are through-dyes and visible on both sides
- Bright, fade-resistant dye
- Double stitched edges all around
- Reinforced grommet holes with metal rings
- Attaches easily to any flag pole
- Fair weather outdoor display
- Excellent for events, indoor display and theatrical use
- Seasonal decoration, home use
- Demonstrations, protests, parades
ABOUT THE GONZALES COME AND TAKE IT CANNON FLAG.
In September of 1835, tensions were escalating between the Mexican government and the Texans. Santa Anna sent troops to disarm the Texans. A force was dispatched to the town of Gonzales to retrieve a small bronze cannon. The Texans refused to turn over the cannon.
After some fighting, a meeting was held in the field between the two opposing forces. Col. John Henry Moore suggested to Lieutenant Francisco de Castañeda that he either surrender and join the Texans in support of the Constitution of 1824, or prepare to fight. Moore pointed to the cannon and told Castañeda that the little cannon was on the field, and he should just try to “Come and Take It”.
The now-famous flag was flying over the cannon. Moore turned around and shouted “Fire“—and a shot was fired from the cannon. The Mexican troops immediately wheeled around and withdrew to San Antonio. The flag, back then called the Old Cannon Flag, was fashioned by Sarah Seely DeWitt, and her daughter, Evaline. It was sewn from Noami DeWitt’s wedding dress.
It was of white cloth, with a lone star above a cannon, and the words “come and take it” beneath the cannon. It was Texas’ first battle flag, and first lone star flag. Today we call it:
The Gonzales Come and Take It Flag!
Baker’s Flag 3 x 5 ft. of San Felipe Double Nylon Embroidered Flag 3 x 5 ft.$79.95 Add to cart
Alamo Flag 1824 Cotton 3 x 5 ft.$69.95 Add to cart
POW MIA Red Flag 3 X 5 ft. Standard$24.95 Add to cart
United Kingdom UK Flag, Union Jack 2 X 3 ft. Junior$19.95 Add to cart
Betsy Ross III (Nyberg) Flag 3 X 5 ft. Double Nylon EmbroideredSale! Add to cart
USA & Canada Flag 3 X 5 ft. Standard$24.95 Add to cart