The Burnet Texas Republic Flag was used during the American-Spanish War. Suggested by the first president of the Texan Republic, this flag was meant to show Texas’s unity and independence with the lone star, a symbol used to this day. It was the official flag of Texas for three years, 1836-1839. President Burnet suggested the design in a letter to the Republic of Texas Congress. The first Congress met in Columbia, Texas beginning on October 3, 1836 at a small house (when these delegates signed the Texas Declaration of Independence, they were signing their own death warrants if they were ever captured by Santa Anna.) It was in this house that a resolution was passed on December 10, 1836, to adopt a “National Standard” consisting of a blue flag with a single gold star in its center. The bill was signed by the newly elected President of the Republic of Texas, Sam Houston. This was the official flag of the Republic of Texas from December 10, 1836 until January 25, 1839 when the current State of Texas flag was adopted as the Republic of Texas flag. This flag was almost certainly inspired by the flag of the West Florida Republic of 1810, now known as the Bonnie Blue Flag. The Republic of West Florida spread across the lower parts of Alabama, Mississippi and that part of Louisiana above New Orleans. The capitol was in Baton Rouge, and the Spanish governor was overthrown by a band of English speaking settlers that fought under a blue flag with a single white star. The Republic was short lived, becoming part of the United States, but their flag lived on in the minds of many. David Burnet lived in Natchitoches, Louisiana, in 1813, before he moved to Texas and later became the first President of the Texas Republic. Natchitoches was in the Republic of West Florida.